Tuesday 15 April 2008

AM I PRO-ACTIVE?

I really admire people who stand up for a cause that they believe in. People who are activists - may it be animal, environment, or anything that is good. I have a friend who once was very active in Women's Aid Organisation - an organisation that is committed to confronting violence against women. She would see victims of domestic violence, try to help and counsel them. Another friend of mine is also actively promoting a change in our political arena, in her own way. But whatever passion that these two friends have, it really awes me.

It dawns to me that when some people really believe in something, they put their heart and soul (effort and money too most of the times) into it. Am I such a person? Are you such a person? Do I have something that I really really believe in and fight for? Do you?

Recently, there are a lot of causes for us Malaysians to fight for. I don't want to talk about our national political situation as I HATE POLITICS (I think it brings the worse in people...!!). One of the issues that really caught my attention is the call to boycott Danish products. All this while, I have never taken notice of any of these calls before - numerous calls to boycott American products, for example. But somehow, this particular call has really made an impact on me. I made an effort to search for a whole list of Danish products that can be found in Malaysia, I forwarded emails that support this boycott - which I rarely do! I have even started to read the labels on the products in Carrefour and Jaya Jusco...!! You can imagine how glad I am that IKEA is not a Danish company.. hehehhe... Another surprising thing that I did was searching for a YOUTUBE video that counter-attacked the film that brought all this.

Even I was surprised with the effort that I put in for this cause. But, does this make me pro-active? An activist? Or am I merely a supporter?

Well, I do have the intention of joining organisations that fight for the environment. I sometimes wanted to write to the authority highlighting this issue in KL. I even blogged in The STAR, expressing how I feel about the A-G's Audit Report of misuse of people's money in our government (which to my frustration no more news coverage on this).

But I still feel that I can't call all those as "passions". If they were my "passions", I would have invested my energy, a little bit of my money and my quality time with my husband and son to fight for the good causes that I believe in. So am I pro-active? Not in this sense, I guess... I think I'm just a good supporter.

ieja


No comments: