Tuesday 10 March 2009

The Use of English in the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics and Science

I have to say that I'm very disappointed with what had happened over the weekend. The Star published the news. I am not being bias here and I am not judging. Don't say that because I was educated overseas I would definitely agree that English should be used. That is definitely not the case. I agree that English should be used because of many reasons.

Firstly, to use English to teach and to learn Maths and the science subjects would definitely not dethrone Bahasa Melayu (or is it Bahasa Malaysia now - I just can't keep track of the correct term used as it had changed so many times!!). You can't "mertabatkan" the Malay language by using it to teach those subjects. How can u do that if the terms used in Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry are taken from English. It's not like we have all the words in Malay... duuhhh...

If you want to "mertabatkan" the Malay language, start at home and the media. Those are the biggest influencers. If you can tackle those two - half of the language problem solved!

To me, the whole point of using English to teach and learn Maths and the science subjects is for us to be able to conquer the wealth of information that contains in those subjects. It's totally not because of the language - it has never been because we want the students to master the language. Mastering the language is just the secondary aim. If you can, hey it's good for you.

I think I've addressed this enough in my previous entry here.

ieja




No comments: