Wednesday 18 June 2008

Intellectual Capital

The title itself can be misleading. I'm not talking about something intellectual actually, just my thoughts on the sharing of our knowledge. On Friday (13/06/08), I had a very good discussion session with an intellect of my office. A 'doc' indeed. The group talked about intellectual capital or asset of an organisation. This particularly refers to tacit knowledge. My god... what the heck is tacit knowledge... hehehee.. why does my topic sound so intellectual all of a sudden.

To my understanding, our experience and knowledge that we gathered in our everyday lives are our tacit knowledge. We use this knowledge to make some important decisions in our lives, like when we agreed to marry someone. You may have had so many boyfriends before, but what made you decide to marry that particular someone. In the process of making that important decision, you have actually used your knowledge about him (of course making comparison between him and your other boyfriends is unavoidable) and your experience being with him for so many years. You actually derived that you can live with that special someone
till eternity and beyond after you have calculated all the possibilities and teh what-would-have-beens. Well... that's a simply way of giving a meaning to a very intellectual word.

But what is interesting is that if capturing, storing, sharing and using knowledge is very important in an organisation (and in our personal lives for that matter!), why oh why our government didn't see that. Or... they may have seen how important that is, but being public servants, they are just too lazy to explore. Or... the initiative has been put forward, but there was no one to champion it... or, whatever..!!

Just imagine if our civil servants were highly effective people... we could become the most effective government in the world. And a lot of this sharing and using of knowledge would actually make them self-improved people. when I talk about civil servants, I really mean those from the top management to the lowest grade of staff. I believe that leadership by example really applies here.

And yes, when I talk about
capturing, storing, sharing and using knowledge, I do make direct reference to the knowledge management.

ieja


No comments: