Friday 12 September 2008

THE ANXIETY OF GOING INTO LABOUR

A few months after Iqie was born, people asked me when was I going to have the second one. My standard pre-configured answer was "Wait till I can't remember the pain that I had to endure when I had Iqie". I was hospitalised 2 days before Iqie was born and had to be in the labour room for six hours before I finally got to hold Iqie for the first time. But now, try as I might, I can only vaguely remember what it was like in the labour room, and surprisingly those memories do not linger around the labour pain at all. I can't actually remember the painful part of Iqie's delivery. Allahu Akhbar!

I remember when I was carrying Iqie, the anxiety of going into labour was so great that I had packed for my hospital bag a month before my due date. I was also constantly monitoring the movement of the little one inside me. Questions about labour were also pouring in from the stupidest to the most intelligently-sound questions that I can think of. People around me, friends and family, had been very accommodative giving me all the right information and tips of what I really need to know. Combined with the little reading that I did, I was rest assured that everything was fine and that I was ready.

But this time around, it felt like as if I was having Iqie all over again. I still ask questions and try to convince myself that I am prepared. Basically, I feel that I'm still new in this "labour business" thing. But of course with some differences. For example, the eagerness to shop for this little one is not as intense as how Hubby and I felt before. The shopping is still thrilling for me (of course!!), but we have been putting off buying things for the baby for so long that I almost lost the shopping list I made. One reason could be because whatever is essential for the baby, we have it already. Courtesy of Abang Iqie of course.

We have also been a bit oblivious about the "customs" after delivery. I have totally forgotten about engaging a mid-wife for my "during the confinement" rejuvenating sessions. All those herbs and massaging and out-of-routine bathing that requires different types of leaves have been forgotten. How could I... Thank god my Mom doesn't know about this...

And the worst thing of all... I still haven't packed my hospital bag!!! And I'm in my 36 month. So you can just imagine the level of ignorance that I have this time... AND... we still haven't looked up for his name yet... No shorlisted ones and no consensus at all...

My God, how ignorant we have been. So sorry Baby... But, after writing this, I AM GOING TO GET ORGANISED!! And start concentrating on those things... Just in case...

ieja

No comments: