Thursday 5 February 2009

CHANGE MANAGEMENT

I am in Avillion, Port Dickson doing a workshop on knowledge management. My team and I arrived yesterday afternoon, and we're going to stay till tomorrow. I've mentioned knowledge management a lot in my previous entries and we are now developing a blueprint for an oganisation. The workhop is to present their current state - KM maturity level, as well as to get a consensus on their KM processes, KM governance structure and finally the strategic initiatives that need to be undertaken to ensure the KM journey is a successful one.

Today, I actually learn a lot of things. Things that we face every day but are not being recorded. I would like to record that for I am now an advocate of knowledge sharing ;)

I always believe that change is something that is very hard to do. I am not excluded. Once I am comfortable with a way of doing things, it's very hard for me to try a new way - regardless whether the new way is a lot easier than my old one. I learned today that when we face changes we first would deny them. We close our eyes to their benefits. Then we resist the changes. Without having any choice, we then explore the changes and discover the benefits they offer. The final stage of it is commitment - where we actually can't perform well if the new way of doing things is not part of our daily routine. A simple example, mobile phone - 10 years ago i didn't even have one. Today, I can't live without one. But how did I manage back then? How life is a lot easier by having one today!

Coming back to change management in knowledge management, the denial and resistance in the organisation that I'm dealing with are still very high, but of course not every one feels that way. There is still quite a number of people in this workshop who actually look forward to the KM system that we proposed. Those who resist are the ones who fear that it's going to burden them. they fail to see its benefits. They fail to realise that you have to put extra effort in the first phase of the project first to gain the benefits later. Well, I guess that is the first rule of having good things - pain first, then gain.

What I'm trying to say here is that in every initiative, every project, even in our every day life, change is constant. How we manage the change and how we culturalise and institutionalise the change would determine the success of the initiave, project or our quality of life. If you see the benefits of the change, why resist? Just live with it and manage it well. Once it is institutionalised in you, your transformation would be the best thing that happens to you.

ieja


No comments: