Tuesday 15 December 2009

OF BIRTHDAYS AND ANNIVERSARIES

I have come to believe that the older you get, which is equavilent to a bigger the number in age, the less you pay attention to birthdays and anniversaries. I'm over generalised here, but at least this is true in my case.

When I was in my 20s, birthdays and anniversaries were very important. Forgetting the dates, or even to wish at the right time would cause fights. Of course this is true only in my relationships. But I had kept that sacred ritual for so many years, and it indeed had been established and cherised.

But recently, my birthday and my wedding anniversary were not being hyped. Wishes were given, celebrations were done, but the sacred ritual was missing. I still have not got any of my presents... Not even a card anymore (don't get me started on that one!!). I tried to shake away this feeling of incompleteness. But even after months, I still keep on thinking about them. I've asked, but my questions were not taken seriously. And I think today, I have stopped asking for them. But the feeling is still there. I don't want to impose, but... it's that feeling again... it just won't go away.

I'm not sure whether it is because we are so busy with things, like work and the children, that we tend to take these things for granted. Or is it because we think that the other party is just not taking it seriously... BUT I DO...!!! It does matter to me...!! Unfortunately, that message just doesn't get through...

I can't be asking every other day. I'm getting tired of asking... But efforts to find the presents and to surprise me are just not apparent anymore. The lack of interest is... And the results... of course... retribution on my part!!

ieja


No comments: